Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Do or do not. There is no try."

This famous movie quote was said by Yoda in "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" (1983). It is often said by fans of the movie as a response to when someone says that they'll 'try' to get something done. The reason they use this quote is because they're frustrated with the other person's lack of commitment to do the thing. That's not to say Americans don't like to 'try' new things; this quote refers to getting someone to commit to doing something.

Example:
-Are you going to come to brunch with my parents in the morning?
-Well, I'll try. I'm not sure how I'll feel in the morning and anyway, I have a lot to do tomorrow.
-"Do or do not. There is no try."


True story:
I loved this movie so much that I would actually practice doing handstands and trying to lift up one hand like Luke did in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment